We live in a fast-paced world. For many of us, routine is comfortable—it’s known and expected. But sometimes, that routine is unhealthy. It could be a stressful schedule or habits that you’ve recently become aware of—habits that you’ve held onto for a lifetime. Change is often scary and adjusting a stressful lifestyle or breaking habits that no longer serve you is difficult. But you’ve made it this far—you’ve recognized the need to chip away at old beliefs, thoughts and patterns. So how can you encourage yourself to keep going?
- Set a goal. If your schedule is the issue, observe yourself in your daily routine. Begin to notice what is essential and what you can let go of. Make adjustments, even subtle ones, to help make your day more manageable. Try infusing some TCM stress relievers, like taking walks, breaking eggs, or even screaming in the shower. If the issue lies with old habits, recognize the ways in which these habits are dragging you down. How can you change them? Where can you start and what do you envision for yourself at the finish line? Have an end goal in mind, and work toward it day-by-day.
- Give yourself subtle reminders. Remind yourself that the same behaviors will bring the same results. Ask yourself: Am I staying on this path because it’s comfortable and known, or can I do and be better? Is this the reality I want to create? If you want to change, take a good hard look in the mirror, and start, little-by-little.
- Recognize the good that you do. Maybe you’re someone who always writes emails with a negative tone, but this time, you caught yourself before hitting “send.” Every time you are cognizant of your behaviors, there is an opportunity to change.
- Give yourself a pat on the back. When you finally do get up the nerve to do something differently, congratulate yourself. Evaluate how that small change is important to the bigger changes you’d like to make in your life. You had the courage to take responsibility for your happiness and make that change, no matter how small it may have been.
- Go easy on yourself. Remind yourself that this is the beginning of a new world you’re creating for yourself. This is a good time to breathe and remember that everything happens for a reason, and that all reasons are for good. Can you get past the fear of change and see the good? Every step in the right direction will eventually lead you to your goal. And you will see your reality change—for the good.
Perhaps add a release of emotion is ok and important